Monday, June 1, 2009

Review of Danielle Steel, Danielle Eau de Parfum


Here I shall discuss my affair with the Danielle Steel's Eau de Parfum. I never thought I'd be reviewing or even wearing such a brand. I've passed by her romance novels in the bookstore... yeah. Enough said. No offense if you like her books.... I just think it's not really a title that you'd proudly and openly mention as a "favorite" to your friends.... sort of like a cheap one-night stand (may all of us never have to experience that).

So how did this perfume walk into my life? Well, my former room mate is a huge perfume fanatic. She would constantly have new ones on display, and I'd be smelling like a garden gone wild, whenever she returned from her shopping trips. One day she came back with Paris Hilton, Ralph Lauren Rocks, a few others with fancy shiny bottles, and Danielle Steel. I really liked the Danielle Steel because it smelled so feminine, and not as fruity or bubble-gummy as the Paris Hilton. She mulled this over for a while, then generously gave it to me.

My first experience wearing this was for a winter date to the movies. I didn't know him that well at the time, and hence didn't really know his taste. I spritzed some on -- very liberally, unfortunately -- and smelled like an orange clad in amber musk, emerging from a bamboo pool. Ok, unique, but sort of heavy. It's supposed to be a floral oriental, and let's just say, it smells like freshly cut greens and sharp fruity-florals at first, but VERY musky. Like, manly musky, in my opinion. Like a man's musky aftershave.

Technically, it's supposed to contain Mediterranean mandarin (a type of orange I suppose), jasmine, orchid and hydroponic rose. The heavier scents (base notes) are white amber, cashmere musk and blue vetiver. The vetiver, which is supposedly a very manly kind of scent, must have been a bit too heavy in my opinion. I guess when I first smelled this, I thought it was feminine because of the floral and fruit notes I detected. But as this perfume gets older, it seems the florals and especially the fruity notes fade away.

I was surprised because as the night went on, to my mild horror, it smelled muskier and muskier, rather than fading away. Now, with most perfumes, this is a good thing, because you want the smell to last. BUT not to last, smelling like a masculine musk. Yes, this fragrance which I once perceived as so feminine, turned out to be overbearingly manly, over time. At least on my skin. If it had some more vetiver (a kind of masculine-ish floral) and cold aquatic oils added, it would TOTALLY smelll 100% masculine, in my opinion.

It was a bit embarrassing, because I smelled more manly than him, as the date progressed. Uh..... can we say "awkward." He never mentioned anything like, "Oh, you smell good," hence I sort of will take that as a neutral to negative sign. So why haven't I chucked this perfume? Well, for some odd reason, I still like smelling it, maybe because I'm a girl and I like the smell of a man. Ha. It smells musky, but I have a scent that's ALL cherry blossom/floral-y, so I'd probably just layer the two.... or just stay on the safe side, and only wear it for myself.... at home. In summary, a nice scent, but smells way too musky and heavy on my skin after a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment