Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Review of Gucci, Flora

This perfume is marketed as being for the sophisticated, classic and refined young woman, who also has a bit of sensuality and elegance. It's also classified as a "floral" scent. PLEASE! The pink pepper, citrus, and a hint of rose stand out the most in this scent...

I really like this scent a lot because it reminds me of this amazing Japanese fruity girls scent that my sister had when we were younger. It was cheap, I think, but it smelled amazingly fruity, spicy and playful. It was also a pink color and amazing. I could never remember the name of it, but I loved it dearly. I was so delighted to find that Gucci's Flora smells almost exactly like my old childhood fave.

It reminds me of carefree days playing with Barbie(R) dolls, and smelling cotton candy-ish after a day of amusement park romping. The featured scents are Citrus Accord, Peony, Rose, Osmanthus Flower, Pink Pepper, Sandalwood, but honestly I cannot really smell the Sandalwood -- it's very much in the background, as it should be, but that is fine with me. I don't think I'd prefer the often musky and rich Sandalwood to dominate this bright and cheery scent.

The only drawback (to me) is that it lacks a solid base-note, one that doesn't overpower it, like maybe a coconut or vanilla. Also, the staying power doesn't seem that great. This is a scent that doesn't seem to "evolve" over time while you wear it (i.e. top fragrance notes (like the fruits) wear out after a while, then the middle notes show up more prominently, and then lastly, the base notes step up). The same fruity scent continues on and on. Which can make some people get a little sick after a while. So, it's a little bit of a one-dimensional or two-dimensional scent... Not much more. Cute, optimistic and cheery, but I wouldn't exactly say "mysterious" or "sensual."

No comments:

Post a Comment